emmadoll

Wounded Child Prostitute

I like some people so much, their whole way, and being, that I can't say a word for fear of wrecking it. So if you see me standing across the room, not looking, I'm probably in love with you. Damaged, benzo surfer...

Why We Love Sociopaths: A Guide To Late Capitalist Television
Kimberly Craft
The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future
Joseph E. Stiglitz

Gone Girl: A Novel

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn Ok, I was hanging in there through part one, even though Amy was being lame and Nick was increasingly becoming jerkier assholie guy. I knew that things would twist and turn and I do like the social cultural pundity jabberwocky of this x-Entertainment Weekly television critic and lovely gal Gillian Flynn. For those reasons alone I hung in through the set up. Why are set ups so, I don't know if I should say 'tedious' but so... something?Anyway, if you have read Gone Girl, things really do get gone as in an out of the park hit right in the beginning of Part II. That's where she had me of course, fully completely. I love her diatribe on 'Cool Girl' right as she breaks out the real Amy - this sets up Amy angst and sociopathic foundations nicely. The gist:"Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot." I still have a hundred pages to go, so I'll finish this later. Ok, it's later now. Just a note: I don't go into any suspense or mystery novels trying to guess ahead what will happen. It just isn't my style - I like keeping my eyes wide open in the dark, driving with the lights off. It's more exhilarating an experience and now that I think of it, it is the way one should read (and drive occasionally).That being said, in retrospect, the twists and turns were not that unexpected or unusual. You should know this comes from someone who has been involved with and related to more than a few psychopath/sociopath people. If you are experienced on that you will know what I mean when I say, it's no joking matter. THAT being said, when the gloves came off with Amy's true sociopath personality, Flynn's depiction was nerve-rattling, but also entertaining and funny - exactly the way that you experience relating with that type personality in real life. It is like one hand in hot water, one in cold, and pee running down your leg and you HAVE to keep smiling, otherwise... The absolute touche of course is having the perspective from both ends. One or two criticisms. The descriptions they have of and for each other were a bit redundant but not enough to be annoying, just noticeable. I caught myself skipping the odd sentence or paragraph, going.. ok that again. But as I said, minimal. Criticism no. 2: This is really more like wishful thinking than a criticism. I was quite let down when she chose Amy's ace in the hole as pregnancy. Even though saving the sperm was classic psycho bitch, I wanted so bad for her to take another real shot at him and for Nick to have been one step ahead. Therefore they could have finished in a true mutually hurting stalemate. He did after all say that he thought he'd caught up to her level. But the pregnancy ending was still well done. So if you get any thrill from delving into the psychopath/sociopath mind - this will entertain you plenty.